Tuesday 23 September 2014

Continued Discussion over the GTX 970 and 980 / Leaked GTX 980M / 970M Specs

Some Experiences so far by users:

Now one of my friends happened to get the Gigabyte G1 Windforce Edition of the GTX 970 and fortunately for him, it was the final piece.

So big thanks to fellow Diablo III Kaki; Visco (who heads the Local Synarchy Team for Battlefield 4 Competitive matches) who shared his experience with Darryl who shared that with me. Darryl has and is selling a R9 290X to make way for either 2 of these in SLI or the Big Maxwell.

Mark "Visco" Lee shared his overclocking experience and man were Darryl and I impressed. Now I said before in a previous post that the Maxwell 900s overclock like a beast. But Mark got a really impressive overclock out from this one.

Now I'd be happy to get to Boost 1.45GHz, but Mark managed to get well beyond the 1.5 Ceiling, at 1552 MHz, that's a full Half a Gigahertz above the Reference Base Clock and 374 MHz above the base Boost. He's still finding the maximum Overclock that he can stretch to this graphics card.

Mobile Power: GTX 980M and GTX 970 Specs Leaked.

Now as to confirm that this is the true specs of the GPU, I'm gonna rule out absolute. However, judging from the leaked benchmarks we've seen, it does look legit to some extent. But having said that, this is not by any means confirmed.

So let's go over these pretty quick:

GTX 980M

Now the GTX 980M and the Desktop 970 share very similar core configuration, and similar Core Speeds but with obviously lower memory clocks. It has 1664 Cores which operates faster in proportion to the 1538 Cores based off the GK-104 from the GTX 880M, 780M, 680MX and the Desktop 770 and GTX 680. So the performance of this GPU should sit somewhere in between the GTX 680 and but closer to the GTX 780.

Now like the previous generations, the GTX 970M follows the #70's notion of having a 192-bit memory bus interface. And with some  shader blocks disabled, there should be fewer cores than the GTX 980M which makes obvious sense since they shouldn't perform too close in league with each other. Obviously it should fall behind the GTX 980M but I was impressed at how already capable even the GTX 970 is / will be.

As for power consumption of these cards, I'm expecting a lot more power efficiency even if they perform a lot better than the GK 104 based Mobile GPUs. Already proven with their Desktop GTX 970, so I guess the efficiency shouldn't be far off either.

This information is based off Notebookcheck's German section. This I translated off from there. 

#Update 05-October: It seems that MSI has dropped a leak in here!



For all I know, this could very well be the GTX 980M, As the 8192 Megs of GDDR5 RAM gave it away. Nobody can confirm this, but I'm sure this could be the GTX 980M. The scores are pretty good. I scored a 13200 on my GTX 780, which is heavily overclocked. The boost clock tops up to a max of exactly 1.2 GHz.



I also checked the typical median for a GTX 780 and it averages to a P-Score of around 12500. I said that the GTX 980M is close to the GK110 GTX 780, but I didn't expect it to be this close.

No comments:

Post a Comment