Tuesday 1 October 2013

My New Tech Blog! - About my Mouse and Mousepads: And what I use it for.

Welcome to the new revised Tech Blog by yours truly, Paul Anthony. This will be a permanent feature following most of my Migration stuff. Most of my other posts will be migrated here from my older IT blog channel since I want to integrated pretty much everything in this GMail.

Now apart from my Music, I love my Gadgets. Now first topic of the day is one of the few major components that is essential to our needs in the IT environment. The mouse.

The mouse is pretty much staple for my general use. IMO My preference is a minimalist palm design and a smooth shape that fits comfortably to my palm when I glide around the place.

So far I've owned or at least used these, and I have one more mouse on the way from Mass Luminosity:

Some HP Optical Mouse
Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 2012 Mouse
Armaggeddon Aquila-X1 Mouse.
CM Storm Recon (Mass Luminosity Edition, Coming soon)

And I own the following Mousepads:

Armaggeddon Black and Green Mousepad (Came with the Aquila-X1)
SteelSeries QcK MINI Black
SteelSeries QcK MINI Asus / Diablo III Scheme
CM Storm Assassins Creed Mousepad

Save the HP Optical Mouse, the other couple of mice have 1 thing in common: a DPI adjusting switch to suit my pointing speed. Most gaming mice have it. But even in the office in Ministry of Manpower, I use the X1 as my work mouse. I'll explain why later. Do note, all these pads I use are all REALLY good pads and it's kinda hard to tell especially since my 2 SteelSeries Pads are both the same cloth material. But different desk and pad surfaces can however change the characteristics and accuracy of your mouse usage.

MOUSE TYPES

Now people in my workplace know that I use my own mouse and pad as my work mouse. I often generally favor favor using mice with my pads. I normally prefer an after market mouse rather than the ones that come with an entry level system for cheap or free. And when you glide it on a pad or desk, you can instantly tell a good mouse from a cheap old rubbish just by the gliding alone.

MACRO BUTTONS, DO YOU NEED IT?

Macros in gaming can potentially make a huge difference in creating shortcuts so you can rely less of your keyboard. However I find it too used to using a keyboard and my general mouse the X1 even though it has DPI adjusting buttons, it doesn't have any additional Macro Buttons. Moreover, if you use an after-market mouse like I do in an office environment, then the extra buttons are pretty much redundant. The big factor in the mouse is the surfaces.

BIG MOUSEPADS AND LARGE SURFACES? DO YOU NEED IT?

In reality, since mainstream mouse users have quite a small desk like mine at home, you don't really need it. At most if you have a super long a big mousepads, then you can fit your mouse AND your keyboard. However I imagine you gliding a mouse over a huge area of a jumbo pad end to end; that's pretty much overkill and unpractical in a normal scenario.

ADVISE WHEN YOU USE A MOUSE

1: Depending on which hand you use a mouse (Typically it's right; Even many lefties use their Mouse with the Right hand), keep any hand wear to a minimal. Avoid wearing large and heavy watches and bracelets and other items on your wrist where the weight can seriously slow you down. Even if you're just doing general work, wearing any of these will get in the way on your surface. Rings are fine but again not those big ones where it can affect your grip.

2: Keep your surface area (and your mouse) clean of mess. Any dust acculumation on your surface can affect the gliding performance of the padded feet of the mouse. And if you're still using the old mouse with a ball in its base, make sure you clean the internal rollers every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment