Thursday 5 June 2014

Tech stuff that I've been Proud of Owning.

1. Corsair HX-1000W Power Supply:
Reliable and paid a small price.
My Zotac GTX 780 and the Corsair HX1000 1KW PSU

One of the biggest components in my computer. The size of the PSU only gets bested by the Newer AX1500i 1.5KW PSU also from Corsair. I got this 2nd hand, for just 110 SGD (About US 87 Bucks) from somebody on VR-Zone. I've been using this since August 2012. It came from another owner who used it for a further 3 years. It had a 5 year Warranty, and we didn't have to use it. It has outlived its warranty and I just checked the Voltages, it's still doing very well, alive and happy and not once has it failed me. This was like worth 320 bucks but I got it for 110 and it's trucking along nicely. It's bigger than an average Power Supply Unit which made me remove a bracket inside my Fractal Design Define R3 in order to accommodate its length. I didn't have to make any mods when I first used it in my ThermalTake SpaceCraft VF-I. Honestly speaking, for the configuration of a heavy overclocked i7 2600K with a Single GTX 780, this PSU I'm using, Overkill MUCH! I know the Corsair HX1000W has enough juice for 3 GTX 780s but my Motherboard only has room for two.

2. ZOTAC / NVidia GeForce GTX 780 AMP! Edition GPU 
Cheaper than a 780 Ti but performs like one

This is the current graphics card in my system. And out of the components of my computer, apart from peripherals and the 2 4GB Black Corsair Vengeance RAM Modules which came from my old build, the GPU is the only thing that I got new. Performed much better and cooler than the Reference GTX 680 that I used to own. I'm gonna go all out on that GPU till I could buy a 2nd GTX 780. What's good about this GPU is the immense factory overclock that's already on it. With those clocks, and after testing, the GPU can already compete with a Reference GTX 780 Ti and downright defeats the Titan. Such as the 780 Ti isn't really worth the upgrade for 300 dollars more or even the Titan at 770-780 dollars more (That difference is already more than my 780!). The VRAM however may be low, 3GB of GDDR5, as I run a triple screen setup.

3. CLEVO W110ER / AFTERSHOCK X11 - Smallest Gaming Laptop in the World in 2012.

Clevo W110ER: A Small but very portable gaming laptop.
This is the Laptop that I'm currently using to replace the ASUS X42J that I used 3 years ago till it broke. Apart from my first Custom build (the I5 2500K Rig), I didn't have any portable system left when that happened. That time I was recovering from my Post Audition Trauma from Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, then a lot of crap happened. Fate Intervened, I took part in a Lucky Draw and Aftershock was giving away a Laptop; the Aftershock X11. So I won it, then spent a bit of money on upgrades. I got an Core i7 3630QM over the i5 3210, I added an OS and swapped a 500GB Hard Drive for a 250GB Samsung 840 which was the first SSD that I had.

It's not the most powerful laptop, but the on-board nVidia GT 650M graphics and the upgrades I put in gave it practically the highest performance per square inch at the time of receiving it. It does have heating issues despite using IC Diamond Thermal Compound, but so far it operates like a champ. Ever since Elric Phares from Tech Of Tomorrow unboxed the AVA Direct's branding of that laptop, that laptop was in my mind till I finally won it. Since then, that Laptop has been a Godsend. Light and small, and it's currently in use as a Bedside Rig and a LAN party machine. It will be like this for the next couple months till I start school. From there it will be used actively as my school rig. Now if there was a replacement, I would go for the Aorus X3 that is more than twice the power with its GTX 870M Graphics but having the same portability.

Flagship Indeed, ready for today's needs
4. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
Samsung's Flagship tablet this year

 This is truly my very first tablet that I got as a gift. Although I have used tablets in the past like the Apple IPad, they were never mine for me to own. We did have 2 Retina Apple IPads and Mum was supposed to give me one. However my brother bugged to keep it so I was the only one without a tablet. So when everybody else in the family except me got a tablet for far too long, come Christmas 2014, just before Midnight Mass, I received this as a gift. I've played quite a bunch of games and you've seen me doing some videos with it that I put up on YouTube as MusicHaven2012. And with the tablet, because I don't normally use my Laptop to game outside, when it comes to meetings, I favor the tablet to take down notes because for one, it's so light to carry around, and a tonne more portable. This is also just the right size to be used to read documents. It also had an insane battery life, with a capacity that's ironically larger than my laptop even. On idle, the tablet can last for many days at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment